Sunday, July 31, 2011

Summer Vegetable Sandwich

When I came across this recipe, I had to admit it sounded incredibly boring:"Summer Vegetable Sandwich" but the picture made it look easy--so I chose it.  The finished product turned out to be anything but boring.  Thyme, lemon zest, italian seasoning, and lemon juice were just a few of the flavors added to the marinade for the vegetables.  My mom thought that pomegranate vinegar would be more interesting than cider vinegar that the recipe called for so I tried it out--that and just a little bit of canola oil and the sauce was complete!  I was sure that it was going to turn into some herb-ified disaster.  It sounded like too many different flavors for grilled vegetables.  Since I love color, I decided we'd use both red and yellow peppers.  I also used white onions, zucchini and summer squash.  It was so simple. I chopped the veggies in long pieces and dipped them in the marinade. I put the them on the grill (325 degrees) and watched over them (too carefully) until they turned slightly golden, about 5-7 minutes.  After everything was grilled, I sliced mozzarella and cut a loaf of multi-grain italian bread into pieces.  Using one loaf, two peppers, half an onion, a zucchini and a giant squash I was able to feed five very hungry adults.  We chose to use Marie's Chipotle Ranch dressing as a dip.  It was a great touch.  The sandwich was light but filling and really tasted like something from Panera Bread.  Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment