Sunday, July 31, 2011

Mexicana

Vegetable enchiladas.  I had to have Mexican, my favorite kind of food, on my first day.  The enchiladas are vegetarian-friendly.   The first and very necessary step was to befriend the chopper--my new favorite tool.  I started off by taking three cloves of garlic (one more than necessary but hey, who's watching) and inserting them into the Glad chopping machine.  Afterwards I also chopped Spanish onion, and cilantro (to use later).  I followed the recipe exactly and used olive oil to sautee the garlic and onion.  The recipe calls for 1 red pepper, sliced.  I chose to use a equal parts of red, yellow and green pepper.  I thought that this would look prettier in my mixing bowl.  Plus, I've always been a huge fan of Reggae music.  The aroma from my medium sauce pan was to die for, it even got grandma off the couch and into the kitchen.  After several minutes, I emptied the remains of the sauce pan into a mixing bowl, followed by two cups of steamed broccoli and a can of black beans.  I then added the cilantro--the leafy substance that I will now add to anything and everything.  A few twirls with my spoon and then it was cheese time, two cups of shredded mozzarella were added to the mix.  I have to admit, I believed that the filling would be a little salty due to all of the sodium in the ingredients, but it wasn't at all. (I shamefully took a few spoon fills, but again who's watching).  I heated the oven to 350 degrees and filled five whole wheat tortillas with the filling; I topped them with bright red salsa (the original recipe called for green, but I'm not a huge fan) and sprinkled them with cheese.  Fifteen minutes in the oven and VOILÀ! Presentation...Perfect with a dollop of Daisy.  Well, except for the fact that the filling began to spew out like a volcano.  Regardless, meal #1 went smoothly--besides the wrestling that took place with disobedient can of black beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment