Saturday, August 6, 2011

(Very Late) Pizza!

I got this lovely meal idea from Stumbleupon.com. I swear this website knows me better than some of my best friends. Click a few of your interests and POW! Stumbleupon will take you to the most interesting of places.  This particular time, the website took me to a DIY pizza recipe. (Definitely choose cooking as one of your interests, even if you don't like to cook the pictures are out of this world--the website took me to a blogger's page that I now follow because of their Peach Blackberry Cobbler images. The photography displayed with a lot of the recipes is amazing in itself!)

The Personal Pizza recipe gave two options: Make your own dough or run to the nearest pizzeria and pick up pre-made dough. I obviously chose the latter seeing as though I am afraid of the word yeast. As I'm sure most females are. Anyway, I grabbed the dough from a place down the road. I must've looked a little disheveled, the young man behind the counter thought it was best if I bought two doughs "Just incase." Ok. Sold. At $2.50 a pop, two pizza doughs were in this college girl's budget. To the kitchen!

I thought it would be fun to include my boyfriend in this pizza extravaganza.  After all, I did have enough dough to make two full size pizzas and I'm really not about wasting. Go green!  So we started. I thought it was a good idea to split each large dough ball into two smaller balls--sorry--this way we could each have our own personalized pizzas.  So in half each went. This did complicate the "needing" and stretching. (I did have to Google what exactly the "needing process" was. I'm still not sure.) My circular dough was not coming out half bad, although I can't say the same for his my boyfriend's. He struggled a little bit. Being the competitive soul that he is, he took his dough into a different room- the living room. Where he could stretch out and not be judged by my critical self.

 I chose to make my own sauce and not use canned. Really, I just felt guilty for using store bought dough. So i cut up some plum tomatoes, added five cloves of garlic, and olive oil plus sugar to taste! (My Mom's delicious pasta sauce recipe.) I added extra sugar by accident but I really think it added to the sauce and helped cancel out the overload of garlic that I (accidentally) added--my mom later told me she used two to three cloves of garlic as opposed to the five that I threw in.

I wanted to get adventurous with my pie. After preheating the oven to 500 degrees, I chose to put the pasta sauce on only half of the dough. The other half was going to be margarita! My neighbor had just given us a basil plant and I was all about it. So on my margarita half I put the usual that one would find on a slice from the local pizzeria: sliced fresh mozzarella, basil leaves, and sliced tomato--simple but always a crowd pleaser! My other half (which had the sauce) would be zucchini extra cheese, STUFFED CRUST. I got this amazing idea from the Stumbleupon recipe, which gave a multitude of options for the pizza lover. For stuffed crust pizza all you have to do is roll mozzarella string cheese (or any kind for that matter) under a crust. So easy. I can't believe I didn't think of that myself, being the cheese-lover that I am.  After putting mine together, I took a look at his. A little deformed, but also cheese-a-licious. He stuck to a standard pie with cheese and sauce. Once we were done "decorating" we put our pies in the 500 degree oven and watched them for fifteen minutes.  This is what the recipe called for.  Me being the cautious cooker, I chose to leave them in for five extra minutes to become golden. They were so beautiful.  And so delicious. I don't know if it was the White Zinfandel or what, but I swear the stuffed crust extra cheese zucchini slice was the best thing I've ever tasted. He finished his whole pie so I'm assuming his didn't turn out half bad.


Being the fabulous sister and daughter that I am--I whipped up the other dough ball for my family. I did half zucchini and half regular, half stuffed crust half not. They killed this when they got home the next day, So pizza night was a giant success!

No comments:

Post a Comment