Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Granny Smith's Apple Pie

The easy recipe was on that I obtained from my mother.  It is a recipe that she has been making forever. The taste cinnamon-y sweet goodness would cause one to think that this recipe was extremely complicated, but there are only a few short steps.  The first obviously is to get yourself a big bag of apples!  This pie could turn any Fall day into a day dedicated to apple-picking family fun! 
After getting the apples you will need to cut and skin them fully, no seeds to anything.---If you have a tool that cores and slices the apple, definitely use it, my hands were aching after all the slicing.--- The type of apple doesn't matter but my mother has found Macintosh apples allow for a sweeter pie (I used empire, still yummy!) Now for the apple filling sauce. I could not believe that there were only four ingredients: 1 cup of sugar, 1/3 C of milk, 1/3 of heavy cream (I used fat free half and half) and a teaspoon of cinnamon.  I put a little extra cinnamon which left a different texture.  I allowed the sugar, water and cinnamon to melt before I added the cream.  Once it is melted it is done! We both chose to use store bought crusts. You'll need two.  You place the cut up apples in one of the crusts and then drizzle the sauce on top of it.  Then all you need to do is put the other crust on top. (You can make an X in the middle to make it look authentic.)  Also, use a fork to mush together the outsides of the crusts.  It helps it to hold together and it looks home-made.  When the pie is put together you just throw it in the oven! (Preheated to 400 degrees) I advise putting some tin foil or a pan underneath the pie, all of the juices really cook the apples well and it may overflow into a cinnamon sugar volcano.  Let the pie cook for 45-50 minutes depending on your preference.  You can let it cool and enjoy, but i prefer to eat it right after taking it out of the oven. With a scoop of vanilla ice cream of course!  The recipe is easy but delectable.  For my boyfriend to eat two servings of something I made, it must be good!

No comments:

Post a Comment