Sunday, October 23, 2011

Mama's Penne a la Vodka

Today was my boyfriends birthday so I wanted to make a family style dinner for him and my roommates.  It had to be something relatively easy with few ingredients, but could feed six.  So naturally I called my mother, who thought that pasta would be appropriate given my requirements.  I was skeptical, but when she told me all I would need was a jar of tomato sauce, butter, parmesan cheese, garlic and onion powder, heavy cream and vodka--I was sold. She usually makes it in a frying pan so I wanted to follow every step she did. I first melted two tbsp of butter (I put a little extra) with onion and garlic powder in the frying pan.  The garlic powder and onion powder can be replaced with real chopped garlic and onion. My roommate doesn't like the onion texture so I chose the easier route. On a half simmer I then added the jar of Rinaldi's sauce (she said any type of regular sauce would be fine.) Into the sauce all i had to ad was 1/4 C of vodka and some parmesan cheese. I used Smirnoff triple distilled---convenient left overs from last night's birthday festivities. She had advised me to add a small mount of crushed red pepper, which I did, it really added to the flavor. Lastly, the heavy cream.  There are no measurements for this.  The lighter you want the sauce the more you put.  But start off with small amounts, a little cream goes a long way!  Once all the ingredients are mixed the sauce needs to simmer for 10-15 minutes and it's complete, after you top it with some more parmesan of course!  It was a hit tonight and will definitely be added to my recipe collection. So quick and easy. And cheap! Perfect for a college student.


No comments:

Post a Comment